The first year of college is always the toughest….and the scariest. I was so intimidated and went into my first year with no expectations. This post is a list of things I would tell my freshman self. I hope this would serve as a freshman survival guide so you know a little more about what to do!
On Campus Living (A look inside the dorms)
- Arguments will happen with roommates. They are normal! Figure out a compromise so that everyone is happy.
- Get to know your roommates and ask how to work out arguments. Confront them if anything bothers you.
- Try not to skip meals and eat junk food all of the time. It’s easy to fall into bad habits. Instead, choose healthy options in the school’s buffet or even look up snack ideas you can buy at the store!
- Fact: you will be staying up late wether it’s a Netflix marathon or an 8 page essay.
- Be considerate of others. This is because everyone is living in close proximity of others. You don’t want to pick a fight.
- Don’t lose your room key and don’t rely on your roommates. Those things are expensive.
- Try establishing a bedtime. It’s very easy to lose track.
- Don’t procrastinate doing your laundry. A good time to do it is Sunday morning.
- USE THE HELP CENTERS! They are important and very helpful when you’re stuck on any type of homework problem.
- Buy/rent used textbooks. I recommend waiting until the professor says you will need the book. If not, don’t waste your money.
- Don’t freak out if you fail an exam. It’s not the end of the world, I know they are rough.
- Be friendly to the professors. They want to help you! So make it easy on them and pay attention in class.
- Create a study schedule. It is easy to forget to study for an exam or finish an assignment.
- Use a google account through your school’s email. This is an easy way to keep track of all your online work (essays/presentations).
- Ask if you don’t know. I know we’ve been through this, but it is important you understand the material.
- Good notes = Good grades!
- You will be exposed to Greek Life whether it sounds interesting or not. Don’t be afraid to try new things! (I joined and I absolutely love it! If you have any questions about it, feel free to go to my contact page or Instagram)
- In the nicest way, Keep your political views, religion, and beliefs to yourself, unless someone asks.
- Be social and join what you can, but don’t put too much on your plate. You never know what you can/can’t handle.
- You are independent, but don’t go over your head. This is the biggest step to adulthood and it’s important to go slow so you don’t get piled up with bills or regrets.
- Don’t ever feel pressured to do anything you don’t want to do! College comes with a lot of pressure, but if you make good friends, saying no should not be a problem.